Pissaladiere French Pizza with Onion Olive Tapenade makes a great appetizer or even a brunch pizza. Caramelized onions, olive tapenade, capers and fresh thyme. Simple ingredients, sensational flavour.
Creating fusion dishes is fun and delicious. Have you tried Greek nachos? A great twist on the classic dish.
This post was sponsored by Sofia’s Selection. All opinions are my own.
Can you imagine, a pizza WITHOUT cheese? I was totally intrigued when I read this recipe. We are HUGE cheese lovers. Homemade pizza rocks and a little French cooking at home is fun too. The caramelized onions are SO good. Have you ever tried onion gravy?
Since I’ve never heard of pissaladiere before, I had to google it to find out exactly what it is. This recipe is the third in a series of “recipe recreations” from Sofia’s Selection. If you have been following my posts, you already know how tasty these products are.
Pissaladiere is a French pizza made with caramelized onions, olives, and anchovies. Luckily for me, this particular recipe did not include anchovies, since I am not an anchovy fan.
However, I am a fan of caramelized onions! My Bourbon Caramelized Onion Jam is hands down the BEST onion jam for burgers, sausages, pulled pork and more. In fact, next time I make this pizza, I am going to give it a try with onion jam. I can’t wait to taste the results.
In France, this pizza is served in the morning, and I just happen to think this would make the perfect brunch pizza. Since we love pizza here, I don’t need any excuses to eat it for every meal. How about you? Do you eat pizza for breakfast?
Very few ingredients are needed for this flavourful pizza. Pizza dough, onions, olives, and capers. I will encourage you to give yourself a bit of time to cook the onions. If you have never caramelized them before, you don’t know what you are missing. Onions cooked this way turn into almost a thick, sweet onion jam.
This is a process you cannot rush. It’s not hard, but sometimes patience is the key, and that is what caramelizing onions are all about. The good thing is you can make this ahead of time if you wish. Also, you can use store bought pizza dough too.
The olive base of this pizza was Sofia’s Selection Roasted Sweet Onion Black Olive Tapenade. In case you have never heard of Sofia’s Selection, these products are so incredibly delicious, I was hooked the first time I tried them.
Sofia’s Selection products are gluten-free, contain no artificial colours or preservatives, low salt and made with natural ingredients. These products can be purchased in several stores in Michigan. Black Olive Tapenade (affiliate link) can also be purchased online at Amazon.
I was totally blown away with this pissaladiere. The caramelized onions were soft and sweet. The olives added a rich, yet not overpowering tone. The tangy, salty “pop” of the capers excites your taste buds. Fresh thyme with the wonderful aroma and earthy flavour pulls everything together.
EASY HOLIDAY ENTERTAINING
With the holiday season HERE, I know I have LOTS of parties and events to attend. What about you? Not to mention my regular holiday baking, shopping, wrapping, etc. The ENDLESS list that keeps on growing.
When it comes to entertaining, keeping things simple, yet delicious is what I am all about. Last month Easy Olive Tapenade Cocktail Party Meatballs was the featured recipe from Sofia’s Selection. Talk about a flavourful meatball. Two simple ingredients, one sensational meatball. I already have big plans for these at SEVERAL parties this season. Want to impress your guests, you need to make these meatballs.
Using a tapenade that is bursting with flavour, (and believe me these are) you really can keep the ingredients down to a minimum. Looking for a quick meal during the busy weeknight? Easy Penne Pasta with Roasted Garlic Tapenade to the rescue. I think you get my point how easy cooking can be with the help of Sofia’s Selection.
Let’s get back to our delicious pissaladiere pizza. The French traditionally served this in the morning. If I had leftovers, warming it up for breakfast would not be an issue for me. It can be used as an appetizer as well. We enjoyed it with some wine and homemade chicken wings for dinner. This Pissaladiere French Pizza with Onion Olive Tapenade is perfect ANY time of day. ENJOY!
Pissaladiere French Pizza With Onion Olive Tapenade
- 1 ½ pound pizza dough (homemade or store bought)
- 1 jar Sofia's Selection Black Olive Tapenade with Roasted Sweet Onion
- 1 ½ pounds red onion (sliced thin)
- 3 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves (off the stem)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tbsp capers
- salt & pepper (to taste)
For the Onions:
- Thinly slice the onions.
- Heat a non stick pan over medium heat. Add the oil and butter.
- Add the onions, salt and pepper. Mix well. Turn down heat slightly. Cover pan with a lid.
- THIS COOKING PROCESS will take TIME. Cook (covered) over med-low heat, stirring every so often. I cooked my onions for about an hour. You want the end result to be almost like an onion jam. Believe me, it is WORTH the effort here.
- Once the onions are cooked, remove from heat and add the thyme leaves. These are now ready for the pizza. If you make them ahead of time, just heat slightly to make them easier to spread.
For the Pizza:
- If you are making dough, go ahead and use your favourite recipe. If you are using store bought dough, be remove it from the fridge for about 30 minutes or so. This makes it easier to roll. Be sure to keep it covered with a cloth so it does not dry out.
- Preheat your oven to 425º F. If you are using a pizza stone, place it in the oven to heat OR you can roll the dough right onto the cold stone. I use a pizza paddle and place my pizza onto a HOT stone.
- Roll the dough into a circle. *HINT* if you are rolling the dough, then placing it on the stone, be sure to roll it on some cornmeal to make it easier to move.
- Top the dough with the olive tapenade.
- Next, top with the onions.
- Sprinkle on the capers.
- Place pizza in the oven. Bake for about 18-20 minutes.
- Remove the pizza from the oven. Sprinkle on some additional thyme leaves.
- Slice and ENJOY!