Sparkling Strawberry Crepes are perfect for a weekend brunch. Fresh berries soaked in sparkling wine turn ordinary into extraordinary. Make these for a special Mother’s Day treat!
When it comes to brunch on the weekends I really like to make it special by cooking things that we don’t usually eat during the week. Crepes are something that require a bit of time, so the weekend brunch is perfect to have fun with these in the kitchen.
Crepes are fantastic and can either be savoury or sweet. For this version I decided on a sweet crepe and just stepped it up a notch making them the perfect Mother’s Day treat. Sparkling wine and flavoured whipped cream turned these strawberry crepes into a dish worthy to celebrate a special occasion.
This recipe is really simple and not really time consuming. What makes it special is soaking the berries for a few hours in sparkling wine before you puree them. You can choose any wine you like. For this recipe I used a sparkling strawberry wine called Fresita.
Start with soaking your berries at room temperature for a few hours in enough wine to cover them nicely. Drain and puree with an immersion blender adding enough organic cane sugar to reach your desired sweetness. Wash and slice additional berries to add to the crepes.
The batter is very similar to a thin pancake batter. I like to make mine about an hour ahead of time and let it sit covered on the counter till ready to use.
If you don’t have a crepe pan you can use a shallow non stick fry pan. I happen to love my crepe pan, makes me feel like I am in France!! It does take some special care, but so worth it.
For the topping whip the cream, strawberry oil and 2 tbsp. of icing sugar and place in fridge till ready to use.
If you are familiar with LorAnn Oils you can appreciate how powerful a couple of drops can be. To the whip cream I added 2-3 drops of the Strawberry Oil just to bring out a subtle strawberry taste.
Heat your pan and be sure to give it a nice coating of butter each time you make a crepe. Pour ⅓ cup of batter onto the pan, tilting to ensure it makes a nice thin layer. Cook for a couple of minutes and flip (I use a flipper) to cook the other side. I like to make all my crepes at once, they can be eaten hot or cold. If you want to keep them warm, place them on a cookie sheet in a low temperature oven.
To assemble take a crepe and place some sliced berries and roll into a log. Cover with your strawberry puree and whipped cream and garnish with a fresh berry.
There you have it Sparkling Strawberry Crepes…dig in!! I know what I want on Mother’s Day!!
Looking for more great brunch ideas? How about this Waffle Sandwich or Strawberry Scones with White Chocolate Drizzle.
Have you subscribed to my WEEKLY NEWSLETTER? Be sure to grab you FREE printable.
Sparkling Strawberry Crepes
For the Berries:
- 32 ounces fresh strawberries (washed)
- 1 ½ cups sparkling wine
- 3 tablespoons organic cane sugar
For the Crepes:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoons salt
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter (melted)
For the Topping:
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons icing sugar
- 3 drops strawberry oil
For the Berries:
- Wash strawberries and slice or quarter (your choice).
- Take ½ the berries and place in a bowl (place the other ½ in the fridge till ready to use).
- Cover the berries in the bowl with the sparkling wine.
- Let sit for 3-4 hours.
- Drain and using an immersion blender puree adding sugar to desired level of sweetness.
- Set aside till ready to use.
For the Crepes:
- Mix all ingredients and cover with plastic wrap and let sit on counter for 1 hour.
For the Topping:
- Whip cream, strawberry oil and sugar until nice soft peaks.
- Place in fridge till ready to use.
- Heat your pan and coat with butter.
- Pour ⅓ cup batter onto pan and tilt to make a thin layer.
- Cook for about 2 minutes and flip to cook other side.
- Remove from pan and place on tray.
- If you want to keep warm place in a low temperature oven (they can be eaten hot or cold).
- Continue till you have made all the crepes.
- Take crepe and place berries on ½ and roll into a log.
- Add strawberry puree.
- Top with whipped cream.
- Garnish with a fresh berry.
We used to make crepes all the time and we haven’t in such a long time. They look perfect for a brunch and with the holidays coming up they would be gobbled up in no time. The strawberries look super yummy. My mouth is watering just looking at the photos. I’m pinning this recipe to make for our Christmas brunch.
Homemade & Yummy
They are such a fun dish that seems fancy to make…and great for entertaining too.
Oh my gosh! These look simply amazing. I need to make these for myself one weekend morning!
ENJOY they are delicious!!
Wow, there’s so much to like here… I mean, a good crepe is already amazing, but delicious boozy strawberries? Yes please! Fantastic stuff.
Thanks so much!!
Laura | Wandercooks
Oh yes please, I think you just won Mother’s Day with this recipe haha (and now I’m about to as well 😛 – mum will LOVE this!) Never come across Strawberry Oil before but it sounds like a great addition to this recipe. Thanks for the inspiration!
HAHA…well ENJOY everyone!!