Quick and Easy Smoked Salmon Plate is a fast and delicious meal from Jamie Oliver’s book 5 Ingredients Quick and Easy Foods.
Don’t have time to cook? YES, you do! If I could show you how to get dinner on the table faster than pizza delivery, would you be interested? Roll up your sleeves, and spend a few minutes in the kitchen.
My motto: “Food doesn’t have to be complicated, BUT it does have to taste good”. If you love smoked salmon, this recipe will knock your socks off. Using only 5 ingredients, this easy smoked salmon recipe makes a weeknight winner dinner.
We all need a little help in the kitchen. If your family is like mine, we hardly EVER have takeout. With so many quick and easy recipes available, you can feed your family healthy and nutritious meals in under 30 minutes.
I love Jamie Oliver, and I just HAD TO HAVE this cookbook *5 Ingredients Quick and Easy Foods. After all, it needs to be with all his other books on my shelf LOL. Even us food bloggers are pressed for time too. These quick and easy meals will get you from the kitchen to table in no time.
Jamie’s approach to using simple ingredients has always been a hit with me. Need more convincing? Try Mediterranean Canned Tuna Pasta Toss. This is not your mom’s tuna and noodles.
EASY SMOKED SALMON INGREDIENTS
You really gotta love when you can make a meal with only a few ingredients. Even novice home cooks can make this smoked salmon recipe. It doesn’t even require ANY cooking!
You will need:
- smoked salmon
- fresh dill
- cottage cheese
I don’t count the seasonings as ingredients (you can if you like). In addition, you will need:
- salt and pepper
- red wine vinegar
- olive oil
Sounds super easy right?
ASSEMBLING THE SALMON PLATE
Believe me when I tell you this is SUPER EASY to make. ALL the instructions are in the recipe card.
Here is the quick rundown:
- First, you make your quick pickled cucumber ribbons and put them off to a side till ready to plate.
- Drape the sliced smoked salmon onto your plate.
- Cut the avocado and place beside the salmon.
- Pile some cucumber ribbons on the side.
- Scoop on some cottage cheese.
- Garnish with olive oil and fresh dill.
Sound doable? YES is sure does. ANYONE can make this cold smoked salmon platter.
WHAT TO DO WITH SMOKED SALMON
Do you like smoked salmon? It has only been within the last few years that I have actually tried it. I don’t know why, but for some reason, I didn’t think I would like it. You know how it is when you try to convince your kids to try something new. The same thing happened with oysters but once is enough for me (for oysters that is).
Once I tried smoked salmon, I really had to wonder what was holding me back? The thought of the smoked flavour perhaps? Funny how your brain thinks sometimes. Unless you try it, how will you know? That is what I keep telling my son-in-law the “pork hater”. He has NEVER tried any type of pork. How can you not love bacon? My daughter and grandkids sure eat it up!
Now that I LOVE smoked salmon, I have LOTS of great recipes for smoked salmon.
Here are a few smoked salmon recipes to try:
- Warm Potato Salad with Dill & Smoked Salmon is a favourite around here. Great as a side dish, or stand alone meal.
- Smoked Salmon Cucumber Appetizer with Cream Cheese is the perfect party appetizer. You could even use this as a smoked salmon spread.
- Smoked Salmon Potato Appetizers are a hit at holiday parties. The perfect elegant appetizer.
- Smoked Salmon Egg in a Hole is a fun idea for brunch or even breakfast for dinner.
- Smoked Salmon Bagel with Artichoke Cream Cheese is my FAVOURITE lunch (or dinner) any day of the week.
- Smoked Salmon Salad with Cucumber Noodles makes a fun and delicious spiralized salad.
BEST SMOKED SALMON
I think this is personal preference. I always buy DOM International. You can find it in the freezer section of your local grocery stores. I buy mine at Costco.
I prefer the box of single servings. That way I can thaw just the amount I need each time.
There are other brands available, so shop around and experiment to see which brand you prefer.
Just because we are busy, we don’t have to eat crappy food. Don’t rely on fast food joints to feed your family. Meals like this Quick and Easy Smoked Salmon Plate are far more nutritious, use REAL food, and one more thing, DELICIOUS!
What is YOUR favourite way to eat smoked salmon?
Here are a few other smoked salmon recipes you might like to try:
- Easy Salmon Chowder
- Smoked Salmon and Caper Arancini
- Everything Bagel Smoked Salmon Quiche
- Smoked Salmon Rice Salad
Don’t forget to sign up for my WEEKLY NEWSLETTER and grab your FREE printable. If you would prefer to get PUSH NOTIFICATIONS instead, CLICK the PURPLE BELL on the bottom right of this page. FOLLOW ME on social media too!
Quick and Easy Smoked Salmon Plate (Jamie Oliver)
- 1 small cucumber
- fresh dill
- 3 1/2 ounces smoked salmon
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 tbsp cottage cheese
- salt & pepper (to season)
- 2 tsp olive oil (for garnish)
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar (to pickle cucumber)
To Pickle the Cucumber:
- Wash and thinly slice the cucumber lengthwise into long ribbons. You can use a vegetable peeler (or a mandolin). Place in a bowl.
- Add the red wine vinegar, a pinch of salt, and about 4-5 sprigs of fresh dill (snipped). Mix well and set aside.
To Plate the Salad:
- Divide the salmon into 2 portions, and drape (layer) across serving plates.
- Cut the avocado in half, remove the pit. Scoop the flesh out with a spoon and place beside the salmon.
- Remove the cucumber ribbons from the vinegar, and place on the plate. Drizzle a bit of the vinegar mixture into the avocado.
- Scoop the cottage cheese onto the salmon.
- Season the food with salt and pepper. Drizzle on the olive oil. Garnish with some dill.