This easy soup recipe is bursting with flavour. Combine roasted cauliflower in a blender with stock, coconut milk and a warming curry spice blend. Blitz, and in minutes Roasted Orange Cauliflower Blender Soup with Curry is ready to eat.
If you love curried cauliflower soup, this recipe is for you. You can even have the roasted cauliflower cooked ahead of time. Blender soups are so easy to make.
Have you made blender soups before? Honestly, your family will think you have spent the day in the kitchen. What a great way to produce delicious soups in a matter of minutes.
Easy Roasted Cauliflower Soup is one of our family favourites. With orange cauliflower available at the markets, I thought a new quick and easy cauliflower soup was a great idea.
We also love Easy Roasted Pumpkin Soup too. Can you see a colour theme here?
What is Orange Cauliflower?
I love visiting the markets in the fall. All the colours of the rainbow are right at your fingertips. Harvest is the BEST time of year for all the wonderful ingredients not available all year long.
The fall colours of cauliflower always get my attention. How can you not be drawn to purple and orange cauliflower? Perfect for the holiday dinners, and a must on my Thanksgiving table.
My grandson’s favourite colour is orange, while my granddaughter’s is purple. I have them both covered, now if I could only convince them to eat these fun coloured cauliflowers.
Do you know the story behind orange cauliflower? Saveur calls it an “alien vegetable”. Apparently, it was discovered in Canada in 1970. Woohoo! We are famous for poutine, so being famous for cheddar cauliflower (another name for orange cauliflower) is a feather in our cap.
Orange cauliflower is a genetic mutation that actually has about 25% more beta-carotene than regular white cauliflower. Purple cauliflower along with orange cauliflower have a mild sweet taste. They can be used in recipes just like regular white cauliflower, but these LOOK so cool! The Kitchn has a great article on these coloured cauliflowers.
Orange Cauliflower Soup Ingredients and Directions
With a few simple ingredients, this easy to make blender soup is ready to eat before you know it.
First, you will need a good blender. Here is where I thank my husband for getting me a Vitamix. With the “soup setting” I just place all the ingredients in the blender, and in minutes the soup is hot and ready to eat. SO EASY!
If you don’t have a soup setting, don’t fret. Just blitz your ingredients and warm the soup in a pot. It will still taste YUMMY, with only one extra step.
The best part of this curry cauliflower soup is that you can actually roast the cauliflower in the oven ahead of time (like on the weekend). Everything goes into the blender when you are ready to make the soup.
In fact, you can even make this cauliflower soup ahead of time and heat it when you are ready to eat. You choose what works best for you.
For the actual soup you will need:
- roasted orange cauliflower (one large head)
- coconut milk
- chicken broth
- curry powder
- curry flavoured olive oil (or regular olive oil)
Cut up the cauliflower (saving a few pieces for garnish) and coat with curry oil, season with curry powder, salt and pepper. Roast cauliflower in the oven until tender.
Place the roasted cauliflower in the blender. Pulse to break up slightly, then add ALL the other ingredients. Easy right?
Blitz until smooth. If you have a soup setting choose that. If not, once the soup is to your desired “smoothness” level, pour into a pot and heat.
That’s it! Soup is ready. Fill the bowls and dig in! Homemade soup does not have to be complicated or time-consuming to taste delicious.
Don’t let the harvest season go by without tasting the flavours of fall. Roasted Orange Cauliflower Blender Soup With Curry is a fun way to try a new colour of cauliflower on your table.
What is your favourite cauliflower recipe? Let me know how you like the taste of orange cauliflower.
Don’t forget to sign up for my WEEKLY NEWSLETTER and grab your FREE printable. If you would prefer to get PUSH NOTIFICATIONS instead, CLICK the PURPLE BELL on the bottom right of this page. FOLLOW ME on social media too!
Roasted Orange Cauliflower Blender Soup with Curry
- 3 pounds orange cauliflower (1 large head)
- 1 tbsp curry flavoured olive oil (or regular olive oil)
- 1 tsp curry powder (mild or hot)
- 14 ounces coconut milk (1 can...reserve some for garnish)
- 3 cups chicken broth/stock
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 400ºF, and line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Wash and cut the cauliflower into pieces (saving a few small florets for garnish). Place in a large bowl.
- Add the olive oil, curry powder, salt and pepper. Mix to combine, and place on the baking sheet.
- Roast for 30 minutes or so until tender.
- When done, remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes. **NOTE** This part can be done ahead of time. Keep the roasted cauliflower in the fridge until ready to use.
- Place the slightly cooled cauliflower in the blender, and blitz slightly to break up.
- Add all the remaining ingredients to the blender. If you have a soup setting, choose this. If not, blitz until you reach your desired level of smoothness.
- Soup is ready to eat at the end of the soup cycle. Alternatively, place your soup in a pot and heat.
- Pour into bowls, garnish with cauliflower and some saved coconut milk.