Baked Chocolate Mocha Donuts just happen to be gluten-free too. Chocolate baked cake donuts with a touch of Mexican chili powder and espresso, topped with a simple glaze.
I love easy baked donuts. No frying and so much healthier. Baked Oatmeal Breakfast Donuts are a great start to your day.
The combination of chocolate and coffee is so delicious. Have you tried my milk chocolate latte? It will pair perfectly with these Mexican chocolate donuts.
RECIPE and INSTRUCTIONS for this gluten-free donut recipe can be found at the bottom of this post.
To Make Baked Donuts You Need:
- Baking powder
- Espresso powder
- Cream cheese
- Chocolate chips
- Chili flakes
- Gluten Free flour
- Icing sugar
Baked Chocolate Mocha Donuts Are Easy To Make
Baked donuts are so delicious. Not greasy and really fun to make. It’s just like baking a muffin.
- You will need a donut pan, or if you are like me, I have several so I can bake all the donuts at once.
- I like to use a piping bag and a large tip to place the dough in the pan. You can use a freezer bag with the end cut off or just drop the dough in the pan by spoonfuls and spread it around.
Full instructions are in the recipe card below.
Here is the quick rundown so you can see how easy it really is to make homemade doughnuts without yeast.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Cream the butter, cream cheese, sugar, and salt.
- Beat in the eggs.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients.
- Add in the melted chocolate chips.
- Place dough in baking pans and bake.
- Remove and allow to cool.
- Glaze and enjoy.
- Flour – I used a gluten-free flour blend, but regular white flour will work as well if you don’t need these to be gluten free.
- Buttermilk – if you don’t have any on hand, try adding some vinegar to regular milk (about 1 ½ teaspoons is perfect). You can also water down some sour cream or Greek yogurt.
- Espresso powder – any instant espresso powder works.
- Chili flakes – any variety you like. You can adjust the amount of heat that works for you.
- Chocolate chips – can be milk chocolate, dark chocolate, or semi-sweet. You can also do a combination. If you really like things sweet, milk chocolate will be your choice.
- Storage – these baked donuts will last for 3-4 days in a sealed container. You can freeze them as well.
- Donut glaze – you can dip them in the glaze, or drizzle the glaze on by hand. Sprinkles are certainly optional but always welcomed. I used chocolate milk to make the glaze. Regular milk will work, and you can always add a touch of cocoa powder as well.
Be sure to CLICK THE SUBSCRIBE BUTTON located in the TOP MENU. You will get a FREE PRINTABLE and recipes! FOLLOW ME on social media too.
Looking for more gluten-free baking recipes? Give these a try:
Baked Chocolate Mocha Donuts (Gluten Free)
For the Donuts:
- ½ cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons espresso powder
- ½ teaspoon Aleppo chili flakes (or your choice of chili powder)
- 4 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 1 cup chocolate chips (melted)
- 2 cups gluten free flour blend
For the Chocolate Milk Glaze:
- 1 cup icing sugar
- chocolate milk (to thin the glaze)
- sprinkles are optional
For the Donuts:
- Preheat oven to 375º F and spray your donut pans with cooking spray.
- In a bowl sift flour, espresso powder, baking powder and chile flakes. Set aside.3 teaspoons baking powder, 2 teaspoons espresso powder, 2 cups gluten free flour blend, ½ teaspoon Aleppo chili flakes
- Using a mixer (hand held or stand) beat butter, cream cheese, sugar and salt until smooth and fluffy.½ cup unsalted butter, ½ cup granulated sugar, 4 ounces cream cheese, ½ teaspoon salt
- Beat in eggs (one at a time).2 eggs
- Melt your chocolate chips. (I used the microwave).
- Alternately add the flour mixture and buttermilk to the butter/sugar mixture. Beat until just combined. Do not over mix.½ cup buttermilk
- Blend in the melted chocolate.1 cup chocolate chips
- Place batter into piping bag that has a large nozzle/tip attached.
- Pipe batter into pans.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Take donuts out of pan and place on cooling rack.
For the Chocolate Milk Glaze:
- Combine icing sugar and chocolate milk to form a glaze. Add the milk SLOWLY to the icing sugar until you reach your desired consistency.chocolate milk, 1 cup icing sugar
- Dip each donut into the glaze. Decorate with sprinkles (optional). Allow to set before eating.