How about a healthy treat? These Hemp Heart Cookies are gluten-free, made with coconut oil, and hemp seeds, and dipped in dark chocolate. Perfect for sharing on Valentine’s Day.
This gluten-free cookie recipe is sure to please everyone. Decorate and place them in a gift bag. You might also want to bake some gluten free chocolate mocha donuts too.
Valentine’s Day is all about showing some love for other people and treats of course. Healthy can be tasty and these cookies are perfect. Tasty and oh so cute!! A treat to give and to receive.
If you are a chocolate lover (like a few people in my family), hemp seeds and chocolate pair well together. My chocolate hemp smoothie is a perfect example. Thick, rich and so nutritious. It’s like dessert in a glass.
RECIPE and INSTRUCTIONS for these hemp cookies can be found at the bottom of the post.
I know I will be making some of these cookies for my grandkids. Nothing beats gramma’s baking. Store-bought treats don’t stand a chance.
With a little fun in the kitchen making a healthy and tasty treat is easier than you think. These cookies combine some awesome healthy ingredients.
For These Healthy Gluten-Free Cookies You Will Need:
- Coconut oil (has amazing health benefits. I used it in place of butter.)
- Dark chocolate (loaded with antioxidants.)
- Cane sugar
- Gluten-free flour
- Hemp seeds *affiliate (a powerful superfood)
- Baking powder
- Decorations (optional)
You will also need a few tools to help you along the way.
I love to use cute little heart shaped cookie cutters (*affiliate) for this recipe. They come in several sizes, choose the perfect one for you.
Silicone mats (*affiliate) are perfect for letting the dipped cookies harden on. The cookies easily pull off without sticking. Use them when rolling the cookie dough too.
Mini heart decorations (*affiliate) add the perfect little touch.
Cute treat bags (*affiliate) make it easy to pack and give these cookies to your special recipients.
Baking Hemp Heart Cookies
Seriously this cookie dough comes together very easily. Here is a rundown (see the recipe card for full instructions).
- Make the dough and wrap in plastic
- Chill for about an hour in the fridge
- Roll the dough on the silicone mat for easy lifting
- Cut and bake the cookies
- Cool on a wire rack
- Melt the dark chocolate
- Dip the cookies into the chocolate (place them on the silicone mat)
- Decorate and let harden
- Place in treat bag and they are ready to go
Will Hemp Hearts Get You High?
No, they will not. Hemp seeds are non-psychoactive. However, they do have lots of health benefits.
They have been known to reduce inflammation, great for heart health, and aid with muscle cramping. Hemp seeds contain essential fatty acids and are a great source of protein.
What Is The Difference Between Hemp and Marijuana?
While both are part of the cannabis family, they are not the same. It is sort of like comparing apples to oranges. Both are fruit, but different.
Marijuana contains THC. Legally it must contain more than 0.3% THC by dry weight. It can get you high, and the higher the percentage, the more effect it will have.
Hemp seeds are the seeds of the hemp plant. They contain trace amounts of THC. Consumed whole, or crushed to produce hemp seed oil and flour.
Recipes With Hemp Seeds
As you already know, I love working with healthy, nutritious ingredients. Using them in recipes gives me satisfaction that I am doing good for my family.
They can be incorporated in lots of tasty ways, and here are a few recipes for you to try:
- This clean green smoothie is the perfect plant-based alternative to a protein shake.
- Baked oatmeal donuts are perfect for breakfast.
- Cottage cheese smoothie is packed with protein and a great meal replacement.
- No-bake granola bars contain lots of healthy ingredients that you can pronounce. No additives or fillers in this recipe.
- Chocolate almond oatmeal is the perfect way to start your day.
Next time you are looking for a healthy alternative, give these cookies a try. Share the love on Valentine’s Day….and all year long.
Be sure to CLICK THE SUBSCRIBE BUTTON located in the TOP MENU. You will get a FREE PRINTABLE and recipes! FOLLOW ME on social media too.
Hemp Heart Cookies
- 3 ounces coconut oil (slightly warmed)
- ½ cup organic cane sugar
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup gluten free flour blend
- ½ cup hemp hearts
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Dark chocolate for dipping (melted)
- Decorations (if you like)
- Combine flour, salt and baking powder in a bowl.
- Beat coconut oil and sugar with a mixer until smooth.
- Blend egg and vanilla, then add to mixture.
- Add the flour mixture and blend.
- Add the hemp hearts and mix in.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and place in fridge for 1 hour.
- Remove and let get to room temperature before rolling.
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Roll cookie dough on silicone mat (slightly floured) to ¼″ thickness.
- Cut into shapes.
- Place on baking tray and bake for approximately 9 minutes.
- Cool for 5 minutes and move to cooling rack.
- When completely cool, dip in melted dark chocolate and decorate.
- Lay on silicone mat to harden.
Is it hemp hearts or hemp seeds you are using!?!?
Gloria Duggan | Homemade & Yummy
They are THE SAME!!
These look so cute! I’ve never made cookies with hemp hearts before and wanted to try something new. Already added the ingredients to my shopping list to make these this next weekend. Thanks for sharing!
Gloria Duggan | Homemade & Yummy
ENJOY….these are delicious and healthy to boot.