Spicy Beluga Pasta Sauce with Mushrooms and Wine is the perfect alternative to meat sauces. Hearty, healthy and nutritious.
Since the month of February is so cold, and Valentine’s Day is just around the corner….why not have a “heart healthy” meal to spice up your life? This Spicy Beluga Pasta Sauce with Mushrooms and Wine is perfect to warm you up…with lots of leftovers to make great lunches too. You can always use this sauce as a meatless version for your lasagna.
I served mine over QUINOA pasta along with Olive Ciabatta Garlic Bread and a nice glass of red wine!!
My detailed recipe is at the bottom of this post.
It starts with really simple ingredients…but the star of the show is Black Beluga Lentils.
Start by soaking your mushrooms in the wine for about 45 minutes. I chose dried mushrooms for their earthy flavour…and soaking them in the wine just adds more depth to the dish.
Drain and squeeze the wine from the mushrooms. Reserve the wine. Chop mushrooms.
A little chopping … a little cooking … and you have yourself a healthy homemade & yummy meal.
Caramelized onions add so much more flavour to sauce.
Add chopped garlic, oregano, salt and pepper. Stir in the rinsed Beluga lentils and the reserved wine. Add enough water to the wine to make 1 cup of liquid.
Simmer for approximately 15 minutes…then and the mushrooms and peppers.
Simmer for 5 minutes and add the spicy diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and 1/3 cup of water.
Bring to a boil and simmer for approximately 25 minutes.
Add the chopped basil.
Garnish your dish with freshly grated parmigiano reggiano.
Enjoy with your favourite pasta, garlic bread …. and wine!!
This was a wonderful way to spend a cold February Sunday afternoon … adding some spicy flavours to warm your heart inside and out!
Spicy Beluga Pasta Sauce with Mushrooms and Wine
- 1 cup dry mushrooms
- 1 cup dry red wine (your choice)
- 1/3 cup of water
- 1 cup Beluga lentils (rinsed)
- 1 cup medium diced onion
- 4 cloves of minced garlic
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cups diced green peppers
- 1 540 ml can Spicy Red Pepper Petite Cut tomatoes
- 1 398 ml can tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- Fresh grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- Soak the mushrooms in the wine for approximately 45 minutes.
- Drain and squeeze the mushrooms. Reserve the wine. Chop the mushrooms.
- Add olive oil to a heavy bottom skillet.
- Caramelize the onions.
- Add the oregano, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Add the rinsed lentils and the reserved wine. Add additional water if the reserved wine is less than 1 cup.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the chopped mushrooms and green peppers.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- If you prefer your peppers softer…then cook for an additional 5 minutes, or add them sooner.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce and 1/3 cup of water.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Add the fresh chopped basil.
- Serve over your favourite pasta and garnish with freshly grated parmigiano reggiano cheese.
This is the perfect "meatless" pasta sauce that can also be used for lasagna.
Lots of protein and a nice "spicy" flavour for a homemade heart healthy meal.
Makes approximately 7 cups of sauce.