How about a healthy treat? These Hemp Heart Cookies are gluten free, made with coconut oil and dipped in dark chocolate. Perfect for sharing on Valentine’s Day.
Valentine’s Day is all about showing some love for other people…and treats of course. Healthy can be tasty and these cookies are perfect … healthy, tasty and oh so cute!! A treat to give and to receive.
I know it’s all about the chocolate on this special day and I’m with you on that. This Valentine’s Day I thought I would step out or my comfort zone and bake up a “gluten free” healthy treat….so these Hemp Heart Cookies were my creation for this year.
Although I don’t have to eat gluten free, I do have friends that follow that avenue of eating, so I am always trying to have a few different options when they come over for dinner. These cookies are awesome, and can be made ALL year long. I love using cookie cutters since there is a shape for every season. In fact there is a shape for everyday!!
As a gramma I am always looking for healthy options for my grandchildren as well. Yes I love spoiling them, but spoiling them with healthy food choices is better…and it keeps their mom happy too!
These cookies combine some awesome healthy ingredients. Coconut oil has amazing health benefits as stated in this recent study. I used it in place of butter. Dark chocolate is loaded with nutritional benefits including antioxidants. Hemp hearts a powerful superfood that tastes awesome…love the nutty taste and all the health benefits that go along with them. With a little experimenting in the kitchen making a healthy and tasty treat is easier than you think.
Seriously this cookie dough comes together very easy. I just used a gluten free flour blend (your choice here), and added the hemp hearts for texture and taste. Organic cane sugar was used for the sweeter. When the cookies were cool they were dipped in melted dark chocolate. Simple ingredients that produced awesome Hemp Heart Cookies.
I love using cookie cutters and these little hearts worked so well. They came out perfect. Awesome for little chefs to help you too…they would love dipping them in chocolate and adding the decorations.
Next time you are looking for a healthy alternative, give these cookies a try. Coconut and chocolate with a hint of nuttiness. Share the love on Valentine’s Day….and all year long.
If you really want chocolate for a treat check out Oh My Reese’s Cupcakes.
Follow me!! Like my Facebook page!!
- 3 oz. of coconut oil (slightly warmed)
- ½ cup organic cane sugar
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup gluten free flour blend
- ½ cup hemp hearts
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- Dark chocolate for dipping (melted)
- Decorations (if you like)
- Combine flour, salt and baking powder in a bowl
- Beat coconut oil and sugar with a mixer until smooth
- Blend egg and vanilla, then add to mixture
- Add the flour mixture and blend
- Add the hemp hearts and mix in
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and place in fridge for 1 hour
- Remove and let get to room temperature before rolling
- Preheat oven to 350º F
- Roll cookie dough on silicone mat (slightly floured) to ¼" thickness
- Cut into shapes
- Place on baking tray and bake for approximately 9 minutes
- Cool for 5 minutes and move to cooling rack
- When completely cool, dip in melted dark chocolate and decorate
- Lay on silicone mat
- Let harden