Green Lentil Cream Cheese Balls are perfect for holiday parties. A green lentil appetizer recipe that is so easy to make.
Lentils are such a great ingredient to work with. You will want to give this red lentil tourtiere a try too. A meatless version of the classic French Canadian holiday dish.
The cold weather has finally made an appearance. The holiday season is here. Shopping, parties, entertaining, all the crazy holiday madness is HERE!! Are you ready?
I am just about to make some Holiday Cream Cheese Pinwheels, one of our favourite party appetizers.
Easy lentil dishes are great for entertaining. Budget-friendly and great for gluten-free and vegan diets too.
RECIPE and INSTRUCTIONS for this classic cheese ball recipe are at the bottom of this post.
Ingredients For Green Lentil Cream Cheese Balls
- Cooked green lentils
- Cream cheese
- Italian seasoning
- Sun-dried tomatoes in oil
- Garlic powder
- Black pepper
Mini Cream Cheese Balls Are Easy To Make
They are sure to add interest to your appetizer tray with their unique texture, while at the same time adding some nutrition to the party.
Full instructions are in the recipe card below.
- Prepare the lentils in advance.
- Soften the cream cheese.
- Combine the lentils, cheese, and seasonings.
- Let mixture chill before scooping it onto crackers.
Lentils – I cooked dry green lentils. You can also use canned lentils. See the instructions in the recipe card for both options.
Cream Cheese – I used full fat, but light cream cheese will work as well.
Seasonings – You can use any type of seasoning you like. Make them spicy, Greek flavoured or even Mexican. All will be delicious.
Scooping – I used a mini cookie scoop, but you can also just use a spoon.
Serving – Crackers of your choice, or they can be eaten alone. They taste best at room temperature.
Storage – This recipe will keep for several days in the refrigerator, that way you can make it in advance of your party. Be sure to place it in an airtight container. If you are lucky enough to have any of this leftover, be sure to use it in other ways. Add them to your next omelette or frittata. Your eggs will sing with flavour.
Lentils are so easy to cook. It only takes a few minutes to make a pot full. I love having them in the fridge to add to salads, egg dishes, casseroles and even smoothies.
You might like to give these lentil recipes a try:
Mini Green Lentil Cream Cheese Balls
- 2 ½ cups cooked green lentils (you can cook 1 cup of dried lentils) (can also use canned lentils)
- 2 ounces sun-dried tomatoes in oil (chopped)
- 8 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- ½ teaspoons seasoned black pepper
- 2 teaspoons sun-dried tomato oil (from the jar of sun-dried tomatoes)
- ¼ teaspoons garlic powder
- ½ teaspoons Italian seasoning
To prepare the Green Lentils:
- Rinse 1 cup of lentils in a strainer under running water to remove dust and debris.
- In a sauce pan add 3 cups of water for every 1 cup of dried lentils.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer until tender (about 20 minutes).
- Let cool completely. They can also be made a day or two in advance and kept in the fridge.
- **NOTE** Be sure to add salt AFTER cooking to prevent the lentils from being tough.**If you are using canned lentils, be sure to rinse them well before adding to the recipe**
For the Cream Cheese Balls:
- Place softened cream cheese in a bowl.
- Using a hand held mixer, whip until smooth and fluffy.
- Add chopped sun-dried tomatoes, oil, pepper and seasonings.
- Mix well.
- Add cold lentils, and mix well.
- Place in fridge to chill. If you are in a hurry, place bowl into freezer for about 10 minutes (don’t forget about it in there…or it will freeze).
- Using a 2 inch scoop, scoop out the balls and place them on a serving tray.