Simple Basic Banana Bread says it all. Basic ingredients. Simple to make. The old-fashioned classic banana bread never goes out of style. Not too sweet. Filled with dark flecks. Moist and delicious.
This quick banana bread recipe only uses 5 ingredients. Do you have ripe bananas that need to be used up? Give this easy banana loaf a try. They would also be great in my Best Banana Cake Ever too.
I LOVE when the simple things in life give us so much pleasure. You know what I am talking about. Those simple yet so delicious foods grandma used to make.
Back in the day when she had NO FANCY equipment to help her mix, cut or even measure the correct temperature. NO GOURMET ingredients, just simple, basic stuff out of the garden and a few standard store staples.
YET she managed to make the MOST DELICIOUS food EVER!
This simple banana bread recipe is a reflection of those good old days. The days when food was a labour of love. When some of the best dinners were made with only a few ingredients, yet they tasted as if they came out of a Michelin Star restaurant.
Have you ever looked up the history of banana bread? It dates back to the 1930s. There is even a National Banana Bread Day. In the 1950s Chiquita Banana published a recipe book. Their banana bread recipe became a HUGE hit.
INGREDIENTS FOR BASIC BANANA BREAD
For this easy banana bread you will need:
- mashed bananas (nice really ripe bananas work best)
- baking powder
- baking soda
I class this as a 5 ingredient recipe. Some people will disagree. However many ingredients you count, in our house, this is considered an award-winning banana bread.
Frozen bananas work great in this recipe too. I usually freeze them whole with the skin on. To use, take them out of the freezer. Pop in the microwave to thaw slightly (or leave on the counter). Peel and mash.
Over the years I have baked LOTS of banana bread variations.
- chocolate banana bread (like Rocky Road Banana Bread)
- banana nut bread
- chocolate chip banana bread
- applesauce banana bread
- banana bread with oil
- banana bread with mayonnaise
Yet I always come back to this basic recipe for banana bread. In fact, when I was going to bake this my husband said: “you are putting chocolate chips in it right”?
NOPE! Basic banana bread is what you are getting my sweetie. No nuts, no chocolate. Nothing is better than a slice of moist banana bread with butter (still warm out of the oven).
HOW TO MAKE SIMPLE BANANA BREAD
My baba (grandma) NEVER wrote down recipes. My mom sort of did. Sometimes there would be a list of ingredients, but no instructions. My kids can at least find my recipes here on the blog.
For this simple banana bread, you don’t need fancy equipment. I used a hand held mixer. I know baba would have only used a wooden spoon.
- in a small bowl mash the bananas with a fork
- in a large bowl cream the butter and sugar
- add the eggs
- add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt
- mix in the mashed bananas
- put the batter in a loaf pan
This easy banana bread recipe is PERFECT for anyone just learning to bake. Only a few ingredients, simple directions and DELICIOUS results.
HOW TO STORE HOMEMADE BANANA BREAD
If you are lucky enough to have this around for a few days, you might want to make sure it does not dry out.
I like to wrap mine in plastic wrap, and then place it in a sealed container on the counter. Sometimes I even wrap up the individual slices. Makes it easier to just grab a slice (especially if I am taking it as I am running out the door).
I will also FREEZE banana bread. Wrap the whole loaf in a few layers of plastic wrap (include a date label so you know when you baked it).
You can also wrap and freeze individual slices as well. Makes it easier when you want to just take out a slice or two. That way you don’t have to thaw the whole loaf.
In our house, we eat banana bread ALL times of the day. I love it for breakfast with my morning coffee. It’s perfect for snacks and dessert. I have even baked a loaf and taken it to dinner parties too.
This Simple Basic Banana Bread is just what the title suggests. One of those recipes when simple is best!
What is YOUR favourite kind of banana bread?
Be sure to sign up for my WEEKLY NEWSLETTER and grab your FREE printable. I would love for you to FOLLOW ME on social media too.
Simple Basic Banana Bread
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed banana (2 medium ripe bananas)
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Prepare a 9-inch loaf pan and set aside.
- Place all the dry ingredients (except the sugar) in a small bowl, and mix with a whisk to combine.
- In a small bowl, mash the ripe bananas (enough to produce 1 cup) and set aside.
- In a large bowl cream the butter and sugar. (I used a hand held mixer. Feel free to just use a spoon like the old-fashioned method).
- Combine the eggs one at a time. Mix well.
- Add in the mashed banana. Mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Mix well.
- Scrape batter into a prepared loaf pan. Bake for about 50 minutes until done. Bread should be nice and brown. Use a cake tester to make sure it is done in the middle.
- Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool. Let stand for at least 10 minutes before removing from pan.
- Once cool (or until you can't wait anymore) slice and ENJOY!