Craving garlic bread, but watching your carbs? Roasted Eggplant Slices are just what you need.
The perfect low-carb and gluten-free bread alternative. This easy eggplant recipe is packed with Mediterranean flavours. Tender and slightly crispy, it even looks like bread slices.
Eggplant or aubergine is one of those vegetables that is either loved or hated. Which side of the fence are you on?
Growing up in a Ukrainian household, I had my share of beets, cabbage, sauerkraut, and dill pickles. The cold room was always stocked with all kinds of preserves, jams, and sauces. Never, and I mean ever, did I once have eggplant as a kid. I didn’t even know what it was.
RECIPE and INSTRUCTIONS for this eggplant appetizer can be found at the bottom of the post.
I have made baba ganoush and ratatouille. My favourite way to cook vegetables is in the oven. Roasted Eggplant Medley is an easy recipe to try if you have never cooked eggplant before.
Ingredients For Oven Roasted Eggplant
- whole fresh eggplant
- feta cheese
- black olives
- Greek seasoning
- canned artichokes
- olive oil
Making Roasted Eggplant Slices
Full instructions are in the recipe card below.
- Cut the eggplant in half.
- Score and brush with oil and seasoning.
- Add all the toppings.
- Bake, slice, and eat.
Cheese can be any variety you like. I love the salty taste of feta in this recipe. Try cheddar or parmesan.
Olives can be black, green, purple, or any combination you like.
Greek seasoning can be replaced with Italian seasoning. I would even give curry seasoning a try too.
Canned artichokes in water work great. Marinated artichokes are a great alternative.
Serve as an appetizer. Works great on the brunch menu too.
Store leftovers wrapped in foil or plastic in the fridge. It will last for 1-2 days. I would not freeze this recipe.
Reheat easily in the oven just as you would reheat garlic bread. Place in a moderate oven until it reaches your perfect temperature.
By all means, experiment in the kitchen and play with your own selection of toppings. I’m pretty sure you can come up with some great combinations. It’s like dressing a pizza.
No this is not necessary. The skin is edible. It can be a little on the tough side if the eggplant is large.
This is a personal preference. I used seasoned oil instead of salt.
I will say, even though I did not grow up eating eggplant, my curiosity paid off. So glad I experimented with this tasty vegetable.
Be sure to CLICK THE SUBSCRIBE BUTTON located in the TOP MENU. You will get a FREE PRINTABLE and recipes! FOLLOW ME on social media too.
You may also like:
Roasted Eggplant Slices
- 1 medium eggplant
- ⅓ cup feta cheese (crumbled)
- ¼ cup black olives (sliced)
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon greek seasoning
- 1 can artichokes (canned in water) (chopped)
- Preheat oven to 400º F. Spay a baking dish, or baking pan.
- In a small bowl, mix the olive oil and the greek seasoning. Set aside.
- Open the canned artichokes. Squeeze out excess liquid, and chop.
- Wash eggplant. Cut in half lengthwise. Slice a small piece off the back of each half just so the eggplant lays flat on the dish.
- Score the inside of each half in a diagonal pattern.
- Brush each half with the oil mixture.
- Top each half with the artichokes, feta and olives.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until the skin has softened. If the cheese is browning too quickly, you can cover loosely with foil.
- Remove from oven, let cool for a couple of minutes and slice.