Easter Chocolate Nests require just 2 ingredients and no baking involved. Melt, mix, shape, and then fill with your favourite treat.
Adorable cute birds nest cookies perfect for Easter fun. Chewy chocolate coconut goodness.
These easy homemade chocolate nests are gluten-free and peanut-free too. You can even get the kids involved to help make them.
My grandkids get so excited about this holiday. Hunting for eggs on Easter morning. I remember those days when my kids were young too. Trying to remember where all the eggs were hidden. Counting to make sure they found them all. Hoping the cats didn’t help themselves to treats during the night.
RECIPE and INSTRUCTIONS for these chocolate egg nest treats can be found at the bottom of the post.
When I was a child, every Easter we would gather for dinner with our very large family. Being Ukrainian I got the luxury of celebrating the holiday twice. My absolute favourite dessert was something I call Spring Delight. My aunt would make this every year.
Simple, yet totally delicious. I can actually taste this as I sit and reflect back on those special times. I even made an Easter ice cream of this childhood favourite.
No-Bake Birds Nest Cookies Need:
- unsweetened shredded coconut
- good quality milk chocolate
- of course, you need something to put in the nests (jelly beans, Smarties, M&M’s my favourite is mini eggs)
The first time I heard about birds nest cookies was from someone I used to work with. He told me about how his wife made these nests out of shredded wheat and chocolate bars. He said they looked like a mini egg nest.
If you have had no-bake chocolate macaroons or haystack cookies these are similar. Chow mein noodle cookies are another great example.
This sounded like a delicious idea to me. Since he didn’t have a recipe, I just went by the trial and error method. With only 2 ingredients, how hard could it be? They turned out perfect the first time. It really does not get easier than this.
How To Make Chocolate Coconut Nests
This is a fun Easter treat. Super easy to make.
- Melt your chocolate either in the microwave or using the boiling water method on the stovetop. (see Recipe Tips below)
- Add the coconut and mix well.
- Place mounds of the mixture onto a silicone mat.
- Shape into a round nest, and be sure to make an indent for the eggs.
- Let harden.
- Fill with your special Easter treat and enjoy.
Mix and match the flavours. You can use a combination of milk and dark chocolate.
Use chocolate chips in place of regular chocolate. Please note that peanut butter chips, white chocolate, and butterscotch chips set much faster than milk chocolate. You will have to work a little faster forming the nests. You can also use candy melts for this recipe.
You can toast the coconut, and even use sweetened coconut flakes if you prefer.
Be sure to line your tray. I like to use a silicone mat (affiliate), but you can also use parchment paper, or line it with foil.
Melting the chocolate in the microwave. Microwave for 20-30 seconds, remove and stir. Place the bowl back in the microwave and repeat the process until it is melted.
Double boiler method of melting. Place chocolate in a glass bowl. Place the bowl over a pot of simmering (not boiling) water. The water in the pot should not touch the bottom of the bowl. Stir until all the chocolate is melted.
Store coconut nest candy at room temperature in an air-tight container for up to 5 days. Alternatively if you make them in advance, freeze in a container or freezer bag.
Click the SUBSCRIBE BUTTON located in the top menu. You will receive a FREE PRINTABLE, recipe suggestions and get on my NEWSLETTER LIST so you will never miss a new post again! FOLLOW ME on social media too!
Homemade Chocolate Nests
- 2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 10 ounces milk chocolate (melted)
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl in the microwave (or stovetop if you prefer).
- Add the coconut and mix well.
- Scoop mixture (I used an ice cream scoop) into piles on a silicone mat.
- Form each pile into a nest.
- Let harden until set. (I placed mine in the fridge).
- Once set, remove from mat. Place on serving tray.
- Fill with your choice of Easter treats. (Eggs, Smarties, Jelly Beans etc.)