White Chocolate Popcorn Balls are the perfect addition to any holiday treat tray. White chocolate and marshmallows make a delicious coating. Holiday sprinkles add a festive touch.
This Christmas popcorn recipe is an easy no-bake, gluten-free treat that makes an awesome food gift too.
Here it is, December. The busiest month of the year. How is your “to-do” list coming along? Is the tree trimmed, stockings hung, shopping at least started?
What about baking? I am making my grocery list as we speak. All those holiday treats are just around the corner.
December is such a whirlwind month. It just doesn’t stop from now till January. Parties, shopping, baking. Running all over town just trying to gather all your goodies for the big day. We all need quick and easy recipes to help us out this time of year.
RECIPE and INSTRUCTIONS for these old fashioned popcorn balls are at the bottom of the post.
These easy popcorn balls are just that. In fact, this is a great treat for the kids to help you with.
Now that December is officially here, it’s time to get things (like so many things) in order. From now till Christmas, time will fly by, and before we know it Santa will be making his way around the world.
What Is In Popcorn Balls?
These are super easy to make. I don’t know anyone that would turn down a handmade treat. I love they are made without corn syrup. You will need:
- plain popcorn
- mini marshmallows
- white chocolate
- *(affiliate) holiday sprinkles
These are fun to make and more fun to eat. You can even create your own holiday sprinkle blend.
Everyone has their favourite holiday foods. Cookies, treats, drinks, so many totally delicious things to indulge in during the season. What are some of yours?
We can’t go without eggnog. Rum & Eggnog Latte happens to be our favourite festive latte drink.
I absolutely LOVE gingerbread! Chewy Gingerbread Chocolate Chip Cookies are at the top of my holiday cookie list.
Hubby’s favourite is Boozy Bourbon Fudge.
I know this holiday popcorn treat is on my grandkids list of things for gramma to make.
Check you this post for some awesome food gift ideas for the holidays.
How to Make White Chocolate Popcorn Balls
- Place your popcorn in a large bowl.
- Melt butter and marshmallows in a pot.
- Melt white chocolate.
- Pour marshmallow mixture over popcorn, and mix well.
- Shape into balls.
- Dip in melted chocolate and then in sprinkles.
Is White Chocolate Really Chocolate?
This is a HUGE debate among foodies. White chocolate is made with cocoa butter, milk solids, and sugar. It DOES NOT contain cocoa solids found in milk or dark chocolate. So technically most people would say NO it is not chocolate.
I LOVE white chocolate, so I am the rebel and say YES it is!!
I love it in my Oatmeal Cranberry Cookies with White Chocolate & Pistachios.
Quick & Easy Festive Holiday Croissants would not be the same without that white chocolate drizzle.
- Be sure to use a *(affiliate) silicone mat to place your coated popcorn balls on. They will stick to wax paper. Alternatively, you can use *(affiliate) parchment sheets if you prefer.
- Spay your hands with *(affiliate) cooking spray before forming the balls. This will prevent them from sticking to your hands.
- Use good quality *(affiliate) white chocolate for this recipe. It will make a world of difference.
- Air-popped popcorn is the BEST for this recipe. Making fresh popcorn is best, but if you are in a pinch, you can use ready-made popcorn (not flavoured).
- Melting white chocolate can be a bit tricky. It can seize and turn grainy. The BEST way is placing it in a bowl over hot water. If you choose the microwave method, be sure to use LOW POWER and mix it every 20-30 seconds until melted.
These White Chocolate Popcorn Balls are festive and fun. A holiday treat loved by kids big and small.
What is YOUR favourite holiday treat?
Be sure to FOLLOW ME on SOCIAL MEDIA and sign up for my NEWSLETTER and get a FREE printable.
White Chocolate Popcorn Balls
- 8 cups plain popcorn
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 ½ cups mini marshmallows
- 4 ounces good quality white chocolate
- Assorted holiday sprinkles (to decorate)
- Lay out a silicone mat on the counter.
- Place popcorn in a large bowl.
- In a pot melt the butter and marshmallows.
- Pour over popcorn, and mix well.
- Spray hands with cooking spray.
- Squeeze popcorn into 1 1/2″ balls and place on silicone mat.
- Place your sprinkles in bowls.
- Melt the white chocolate (either on the stove or microwave).
- Dip each popcorn ball into the melted chocolate enough to cover the top half of the ball.
- Immediately dip the popcorn ball into the sprinkles.
- Place on silicone mat to harden.