Who doesn’t love Strawberry Pie?? To me it is the ultimate taste of summer. I love the taste of strawberries so much that I use them year round. From pies to scones, cakes and breakfasts too….glad we can get some good frozen ones for those months when fresh isn’t best.
Before we get to the Strawberry Pie post….it’s time to announce the winner of the “What’s Your Favourite Pie?” Giveaway….and the winner is: Stacy of Seeley’s Bay!! Congratulations Stacy…and enjoy making your favourite Key Lime Pie with the wonderful products you will be receiving from Trudeau!!
Thanks to everyone who entered, and the most popular flavours of pies were: 1st place goes to: Apple, tied for 2nd place were: Strawberry Rhubarb, Cherry and Blueberry and 3rd place went to Lemon Meringue.
Ok…back to Strawberry Pie!! I had a craving for Strawberry Pie…and I had these wonder products from Trudeau to try out….into the kitchen I went. Since I didn’t have any fresh berries on hand my frozen berries had to do the job.
I LOVE using all butter crusts…and for this recipe I used one I found on Fine Cooking.
The Trudeau products were truly a joy to use. The pie weights worked great at keeping my crust in place. The silicone brush nicely egg washed my crust…but the absolute best part is how the pie pan baked the crust so even…and did a GREAT job on “self releasing”. No stuck and broken crusts with this pan!!
Time to make the filling. When using frozen berries I do find they contain more water, so using the cornstarch to thicken the juice is a great way to achieve your desired consistency. I cook/mash some berries, then add in more cut berries to give the pie a bit more texture.
My favourite part of the whole pie is the flavoured whipped cream!! You can use so many options to flavour whip cream. For this recipe I used Loann Oil….Cotton Candy! I did stabilize the whip cream with 2 tablespoon of icing sugar per cup of cream.
So there you have it…dig in and ENJOY!! I know this pie did not last long in my house!! ? ? ?
Thanks again to Trudeau for providing the great products for the giveaway. Be sure to check out their Structure Collection…as you can see it is AWESOME!!
Strawberry Pie...with flavoured Whipped Cream!!
- Pie crust of your choice
- Whipping Cream (to top the pie)
- Your choice of flavour for the whip cream (if using)
For the Filling:
- 1 ½ pounds strawberries (I used frozen and slightly thawed)
- ⅓ cup cornstarch
- 3/1 cup sugar (less if you prefer)
- Squirt of lime juice (and some grated zest)
- Bake your crust and let cool.
- For the Filling:
- Cut the berries in ½.
- Take 2 cups of the cut berries and place in a pot.
- Add the sugar and cook until soft. Mash slightly.
- Add the remaining berries.
- Mix cornstarch with a bit of water to make a paste.
- Bring filling to a boil and thicken with the cornstarch mixture.
- Cook until you reach your desired consistency.
- Add lime juice and zest.
- Pour into cooled pie shell.
- Cool slightly before topping with your whipped cream.