Do you love smoothies? This Cottage Cheese Smoothie is protein-packed using only food. Perfect for breakfast, lunch, or pre/post-workout.
Skip the artificial protein powders. This protein shake has everything you need, including lots of fibre from apples too.
Smoothies are such a great way to pack nutrition into a glass. If you are like me, I prefer to get my protein from food. This power smoothie combines cottage cheese and hemp hearts to create a protein-rich, totally delicious drink. Great for any time of day.
Cottage cheese is super healthy and nutritious. Great for all kinds of recipes throughout the day. We love it in this easy salmon plate dinner idea. Did you know you can have a banana split for breakfast?
RECIPE and INSTRUCTIONS for this cottage cheese recipe can be found at the bottom of this post.
One thing about smoothies, you can create them however you like. It’s a great way to use up fruits and veggies. The best part, you can usually get the kids to drink these no problem. They never have to know ALL the things you sneak in there.
Have you tried blended cottage cheese in smoothies? The perfect ingredient for natural protein shakes. I really try to avoid over-processed food. No need for all the additives and chemicals. Get it from food!
Protein-Packed Apple Cottage Cheese Smoothie Is Super Easy
We enjoy them all year long. When my husband was working, this was his “go-to” lunch. Easy to transport, and easy to drink during the day. You can even make them the night before so they are ready for breakfast. Fast to pop into the lunch bag. High-protein smoothies will keep you going all day long.
Grab your ingredients:
- cottage cheese
- honey/agave/maple syrup
- raw shredded coconut
- hemp hearts
- dried cranberries
Add everything to your blender, blitz until smooth then ENJOY! That is it!!
It’s all about healthy ingredients in smoothies. They can really pack a punch nutritionally too.
- Spinach is the king in this green smoothie recipe.
- You can almost have this healthy hemp and chocolate smoothie for dessert.
- Replace yogurt with kefir for a nice change and probiotic kick.
- This triple berry smoothie will satisfy your berry craving.
I will say to make a great smoothie, you really do need a good blender. Personally, I don’t like “chunky” smoothies. Neither does my husband. When we started making smoothies on a regular basis, he started shopping for a new blender.
I LOVE kitchen tools, so I let him do all the comparison research. Honestly, I did not have a thing to do with it. I was thrilled that he bought me a Vitamix. No chunks in our smoothies anymore. Awesome if you are a slushy lover too.
How To Incorporate Cottage Cheese Into Your Diet
It seems to be one of those foods that you LIKE or NOT. If you have never tried it before, experiment and see what you think.
Cottage cheese has a soft creamy texture, with small fresh cheese curds and tastes a little salty. Also known as curds and whey.
Texture can make or break your love of certain foods. You can choose between large and small curd. There is no difference nutritionally.
There are many brands to choose from, and all will have slightly different nutritional profiles, but here is a general breakdown on the nutrition in cottage cheese:
- Skim/nonfat contains 80 calories and 0 fat per serving.
- 1% contains 90 calories and 1.5 grams (1 gram saturated) of fat per serving.
- 2% contains 90 calories and 2.5 grams (1.5 saturated) of fat per serving.
- Regular or 4% contains 110 calories and 5 grams (3 saturated) of fat per serving.
You also get the benefits of:
- good source of protein
- moderate levels of carbs
- good source of vitamins and minerals
- useful in weight loss (highly satiating, low in calories)
- contains probiotics
- the perfect night time snack for bodybuilders because of the casein (slow-digesting) protein
Ways To Eat It
- Substitute it for milk in pancake batter.
- Add it to salads.
- Mix it into dips.
- Slather it on toast, bagels or add it to wraps.
- Use it as a substitute for sour cream on your baked potato.
- Use it in place of yogurt.
- Of course in smoothies (but you already knew that).
- Can be substituted for ricotta cheese lasagna. You can also get dry cottage cheese which has the same texture as ricotta.
- Use it in place of cream cheese to make cheesecake.
Be sure to CLICK THE SUBSCRIBE BUTTON located in the TOP MENU. You will get a FREE PRINTABLE and recipes! FOLLOW ME on social media too.
Cottage Cheese Smoothie (No Protein Powder)
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup cottage cheese
- 2 teaspoons agave nectar
- 1 apple peel on
- 1 tablespoons raw shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons hemp hearts
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 1 cup ice
- Wash apple, cut and core.
- Place all ingredients into blender (in order of ingredients listed).
- Blend until smooth.