Sparkling Strawberry Crepes are perfect for a weekend brunch. Fresh berries soaked in sparkling wine turn ordinary into extraordinary. Make these for a special Mother’s Day treat!
When it comes to brunch on the weekends I really like to make it special by cooking things that we don’t usually eat during the week. Crepes are something that require a bit of time, so the weekend brunch is perfect to have fun with these in the kitchen.
Crepes are fantastic and can either be savoury or sweet. For this version I decided on a sweet crepe and just stepped it up a notch making them the perfect Mother’s Day treat. Sparkling wine and flavoured whipped cream turned these strawberry crepes into a dish worthy to celebrate a special occasion.
This recipe is really simple and not really time consuming. What makes it special is soaking the berries for a few hours in sparkling wine before you puree them. You can choose any wine you like. For this recipe I used a sparkling strawberry wine called Fresita.
Start with soaking your berries at room temperature for a few hours in enough wine to cover them nicely. Drain and puree with an immersion blender adding enough organic cane sugar to reach your desired sweetness. Wash and slice additional berries to add to the crepes.
The batter is very similar to a thin pancake batter. I like to make mine about an hour ahead of time and let it sit covered on the counter till ready to use.
If you don’t have a crepe pan you can use a shallow non stick fry pan. I happen to love my crepe pan, makes me feel like I am in France!! It does take some special care, but so worth it.
For the topping whip the cream, strawberry oil and 2 tbsp. of icing sugar and place in fridge till ready to use.
Heat your pan and be sure to give it a nice coating of butter each time you make a crepe. Pour 1/3 cup of batter onto the pan, tilting to ensure it makes a nice thin layer. Cook for a couple of minutes and flip (I use a flipper) to cook the other side. I like to make all my crepes at once, they can be eaten hot or cold. If you want to keep them warm, place them on a cookie sheet in a low temperature oven.
To assemble take a crepe and place some sliced berries and roll into a log. Cover with your strawberry puree and whipped cream and garnish with a fresh berry.
There you have it Sparkling Strawberry Crepes…dig in!! I know what I want on Mother’s Day!!
Follow Me!! Like my Facebook page!!
- For the Berries: 32 oz. of fresh strawberries (washed)
- 1½ cups sparkling wine
- 3 tbsp. organic cane sugar
- For the Crepes: 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tbsp. butter (melted)
- For the Topping: 1 cup whipping cream
- 3 tbsp. icing sugar
- 3 drops strawberry oil
- For the Berries: Wash strawberries and slice or quarter (your choice)
- Take ½ the berries and place in a bowl (place the other ½ in the fridge till ready to use)
- Cover the berries in the bowl with the sparkling wine
- Let sit for 3-4 hours
- Drain and using an immersion blender puree adding sugar to desired level of sweetness
- Set aside till ready to use
- For the Crepes: Mix all ingredients and cover with plastic wrap and let sit on counter for 1 hour
- For the Topping: Whip cream, strawberry oil and sugar until nice soft peaks
- Place in fridge till ready to use
- Heat your pan and coat with butter
- Pour ⅓ cup batter onto pan and tilt to make a thin layer
- Cook for about 2 minutes and flip to cook other side
- Remove from pan and place on tray
- If you want to keep warm place in a low temperature oven (they can be eaten hot or cold)
- Continue till you have made all the crepes
- To Assemble: Take crepe and place berries on ½ and roll into a log
- Add strawberry puree
- Top with whipped cream
- Garnish with a fresh berry