Green Lentil Mini Cream Cheese Balls are easy to make and party perfect. Add some interesting texture, taste and nutrition to your holiday appetizers.
This post is sponsored by Canadian Lentils #LoveLentils campaign.
They have graciously compensated me, however all opinions, recipes and photos are my own.
The cold weather has finally made an appearance. The holiday season is here. Shopping, parties, entertaining, all the crazy holiday madness is HERE!! Are you ready?
OMG for some reason this year, Christmas is coming too quickly. The holiday music and decorations have been in the stores for months. Toy commercials are driving parents crazy. Santa is in the mall!!
The weather has been unusually warm, and I will admit I have been loving it. Yesterday the snow started to fly. Black Friday and Cyber Monday are just around the corner. Mayhem and the holiday spirit has sprung.
How many parties, open houses and family gatherings do you have to attend this year? I can’t believe that some of these have already begun. Our USA friends will be celebrating Thanksgiving tomorrow. It’s all a whirlwind from now to Christmas.
Do you have a special holiday event you like to attend or host?
These Green Lentil Mini Cream Cheese Balls are easy to make and delicious. They are sure to add interest to your appetizer tray with their unique texture, while at the same time adding some nutrition to the party.
Do you cook with lentils? If not you should be. These little gems are heart healthy, low in fat, and a great source of fibre, protein and minerals. Such an easy way to add nutrition to your diet. For more information visit Canadian Lentils.
My motto is “Food doesn’t have to be complicated, but it has to taste good”. Lentils are the perfect match. Easy to prepare and versatile, they make it simple to add nutrition in many delicious ways.
For these cheese balls I used green lentils. You can use canned lentils if you prefer. Lentils are so easy to cook. It only takes a few minutes to make a pot full. I love having them in the fridge to add to salads, egg dishes, casseroles and even smoothies.
Holidays always mean spending lots of time in the kitchen making delicious meals, cookies, drinks and party foods. Most of us will agree that we love having a few quick and easy recipes up our sleeve during this hectic time of year.
Appetizers get the party rolling and the guests mingling. Green Lentil Mini Cream Cheese Balls are little bites of green lentils surrounded by sun-dried tomatoes and seasoned cream cheese. Perfect by themselves or on crackers. A great addition to a charcuterie board.
If you are lucky enough to have any of these leftover, be sure to use them in other ways. Add them to your next omelette or frittata. Your eggs will sing with flavour.
Don’t stress in the kitchen this holiday season. Green Lentil Mini Cream Cheese Balls can be made in advance. With a few simple ingredients you can make a party platter full in no time.
Be sure to sign up for my WEEKLY NEWSLETTER so you never miss a recipe. You will also get a copy of my ebook entitled ENJOY.
- 2½ cups cooked green lentils (can also use canned lentils)
- ¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil (chopped)
- 8 ounces of cream cheese (softened)
- ½ tsp. seasoned black pepper
- 2 tsp. sun-dried tomato oil (from the jar of sun-dried tomatoes)
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. Italian seasoning
- To prepare dried green lentils: Rinse 1 cup of lentils in a strainer under running water to remove dust and debris
- In a sauce pan add 3 cups of water for every 1 cup of dried lentils
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer until tender (about 20 minutes)
- Let cool completely. They can also be made a day or two in advance and kept in the fridge
- **NOTE** be sure to add salt AFTER cooking to prevent the lentils from being tough
- **If you are using canned lentils, be sure to rinse them well before adding to the recipe**
- For the cream cheese balls: Place softened cream cheese in a bowl
- Using a hand held mixer, whip until smooth and fluffy
- Add chopped sun-dried tomatoes, oil, pepper and seasonings
- Mix well
- Add cold lentils, and mix well
- Place in fridge to chill. If you are in a hurry, place bowl into freezer for about 10 minutes (don't forget about it in there...or it will freeze)
- Using a 2 inch scoop, scoop out the balls and place them on a serving tray
- They can be used as is, or placed on top of a cracker