For years…and I mean years, these Christmas Morning Sandwiches have been a family tradition. It just wouldn’t be Christmas morning without them.
It’s funny how families have their own traditions, and those traditions actually become such an important part of the celebration. These Christmas Morning Sandwiches have been a family tradition for many, many years. In fact one year I was going to make something else and my kids said NO…it’s the sandwiches or nothing!!
Since then I have never suggested anything different. Christmas Morning Sandwiches are here to stay for a long, long time.
Years ago I came across a recipe in The Canadian Living Christmas Book, and adapted it to suit our tastes. This adaption has and continues to be a “must have” breakfast on Christmas morning. In fact the kids start talking about these sandwiches at the beginning of December!!
It really is a very simple recipe that is actually done the day or night before. While everyone is busy opening gifts, breakfast is baking in the oven….ready and waiting for all to enjoy.
My daughter and I usually get this wonderful breakfast casserole prepared before going to bed on Christmas Eve. It only takes a few minutes, but the anticipation of breakfast the next morning it so high….they just can’t wait!!
It’s basically a sandwich dipped in an egg/milk mixture (like for french toast) and then layered in a casserole dish. If you want a quick and easy cleanup be sure to use foil baking pans instead!! Place it in the fridge overnight, and when presents are being opened, just pop them into the oven…and breakfast will be ready when you are.
I use ham, smoked turkey and provolone cheese, but you can adapt it to suit your family’s tastes…it really is that simple. It goes so well with my Ultimate Cranberry Sauce….be sure to serve it on the side!!
Why not start a family tradition of your own (if you haven’t already) and give these Christmas Morning Sandwiches a try. From our house to yours….HAVE A WONDERFUL HOLIDAY SEASON!! ?
Note: Be sure to find time during the holidays to enjoy a Rum & Eggnog Latte (or 2)!!
- Per Sandwich: 2 slices of thick bread
- 2 slices of deli ham
- 2 slices of deli smoked turkey
- 2 slices of provolone cheese
- 1-2 beaten eggs per sandwich
- Milk for thinning (optional)
- To make each sandwich take 2 pieces of bread
- Layer as follows: 1 slice of cheese, 4 slices of meat (usually 2 of each type), 1 slice of cheese
- Place bread on top
- Beat eggs (and milk if adding) and place in a pie plate
- Dip each side of the sandwich into the egg (or egg and milk) mixture allowing bread to soak up a nice supply of egg
- Cut sandwich diagonally and arrange in a sprayed casserole dish, cut side down
- Cover with foil and place in fridge until ready to bake
- Preheat oven to 375º F
- Place sandwiches in oven uncovered and bake for about 30 minutes until crisp and golden
- Serve with Ultimate Cranberry Sauce